Saturday, December 09, 2006

Last night at Mass, in addition to inclusive language, not-quite-purple candles in the Advent wreath, and other things about which I will rant later, the celebrant ended the general intercessions with the phrase "that He may answer our petitions if He thinks us worthy."

Am I the only person who sees a problem with this? Our worthiness is not the reason our prayers are answered (that's justification by works, if I'm not gravely mistaken). And besides, our prayers are ALWAYS answered! Sometimes the answer is 'no,' sometimes it is 'yes,' and sometimes it is 'wait.' Additionally, if it all depended on worthiness, none of our prayers would ever be answered, for due to our concupiscience we are all sinners and in need of forgiveness. We can NEVER earn the immeasurable Gift that is Jesus' dying on the cross for us.

Comments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got an old photo of my father w/ Francis Cardinal Spellman ;)...I see that you are reading a book by the Cardinal.