Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Exalted Highness Duchess Sieglinde the Erudite of Yetts O'Muckhart
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

I got this through The Ironic Catholic (here), who got it from.....(I'm not very good at this yet, so bear with me).

This is actually quite interesting for more than one reason. Back a few years ago, I had a business partner and we did tailoring out of a commercial storefront over on the other side of town (now I hold the overhead to a more reasonable and less crushing level by working from home). Because we (and now I) were the people who would take on sewing projects that no one else in town would touch with a ten-foot measuring tape, we occasionally needed the assistance of ridiculous titles for each other so as not to get discouraged....I was the Duchess, and she was the Dowager Duchess, being older than I. We also had a dime-store little girl's tiara that we put on at moments when we were about to have to admit defeat.

At various points in my career as a tailor, I have done the following:

Altered a dog sweater (twice, actually)

Put sleeves in a sleeveless dress (more than once)

Made a doctor's lab coat for a teddy bear

Made a baby sling for a doll (betcha thought I forgot about that, huh ByzCat!)

Said 'yes, I can do that' as a matter of policy when it would have been much simpler to just say 'no, not possible, so sorry'

Threatened to stick a (usually male) customer with a pin due to wiggling during a fitting

Fired a customer for being too difficult (only once)

I have got to figure out how to remember all the erudite insights that come to me when I am nowhere near my computer, so I can blog about them.

I'm still praying for two priests a day - today it's Father Prechtl, who has now been at his new parish - St. Luke the Evangelist in Morgantown, for 24 hours; and Father Colombo Bandiera (retired), formerly of St. Francis de Sales in Morgantown. St. John Vianney, pray for us!

No comments: